Govt. Medical Store Depot, Chennai was originally a hospital under Navy for the treatment of Navy persons. It was established in the year 1808. In the later period, it was established as a Medical Store Depot by the British for giving health care facilities under the control of Defence. After Independence, it was named as Government Medical Store Depot.
The Govt. Medical Store Depot, Chennai is under the Medical Stores Organization, Dte. General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.